Tuesday 19 June 2012

week7 Blog- Evaluate impact of my PDP


Evaluate impact of my PDP

When putting together my PDP I had taken into consideration how it will assist me with my current role and help my current company to reach its goals and objectives. Through out the work I have completed during this course I have demonstrated how my PDP links and highlighted its importance in allowing the organisation to remain a success.

My current role requires me to have an excellent communication both oral/ written, excellent problem solving skills, good analytical, strong relationship building as well as negotiation and influencing skills, plus a strong commercial awareness of the insurance industry. Also having the correct leadership & management skills in order to take additional activities in absence of senior management.

I have based my PDP around improving the necessary skills which would allow me to carry out my day to day role more effectively (identifying my areas of weakness through a gap analysis).

By improving my problem solving and facilitation skills I have been able to facilitate a number of meetings and lean events which have helped improve some processes across various areas and reduce waste, improve efficiency and effectiveness of teams, also improving customer satisfaction/ journey. These successes lead to my self and my team receiving recognition from key stakeholders such as the claim director. An estimated saving of £20K was made through improvements made and this money would be put back into the business to further develop projects which are aimed at reducing leakage & improve customer experience. In some ways this would help the company achieve its objectives of becoming a best loved insurer.

To achieve strong commercial awareness of the insurance industry, I have started studying the IF1 module for Certificate of insurance through CII as well as carrying out my own daily/weekly/monthly research & readings on the industry plus operational risk.  By doing this I have been able to identify areas of weakness & strength within the claims environment. The skill and knowledge gained has enabled me to provide more comprehensive reviews and feedbacks  within my reports  to the stakeholders, allowing them to understand more clearly where problems and opportunities lie in order for them to take the next step in ensuring targets  are being made and increase profitability & reputation.
Through my PDP I have gained stakeholder satisfaction, increased awareness of risk, importance of my team and my role with in the are I have worked in. by being alert & more aware risks are mitigated, reduced or transferred and relevant controls are implemented which helps the company stay viable and allowing it to focus on its objectives rather than being constantly reactive to risk events/ losses. (Through this the company has become more proactive rather than reactive).

By shadowing and mentoring managers across various areas of business better communication and relationship has been accomplished. Through communication broader issues were identified and better solutions provided as areas are happy to work closely with myself and my team as they are more aware of what work is carried out & importance of risk within the operational environment. The teams have started working together to implement corrective actions and put in place controls to avoid reoccurrence of events. This would help reduce risk of company being exposed to reputational and financial damage/ loss.

By improving my leadership and management skills trough doing this course and through Mindtool.com, I have been able to assist my manger in some of her daily/ monthly activities and attending meeting on her behalf. I also manage the team & its performance in her absence. This would again save the company money and avoids staff and stakeholder dissatisfaction because another member of staff is skilled enough to complete role of another member of staff in their absence & produce same quality of work & results.


Tutors comments:


Mona

It is good to reflect positively on the outcomes of your PDP. There are a range of benefits listed that have accrued including financial, human resource and personal ones.

Given there are still a few more weeks to go it would be good to continue reviewing the impact of your activities, and at the very end of the course reflect on the exercise in general, your feelings about the benefit of PDPs and whether you will continue with these, and how you might encourage your staff to do this. You do not need to complete all the activities by the end of the course by the way.
Vaughan




No comments:

Post a Comment