Tuesday 19 June 2012

Professional Skills Audit-reflection on specific skills


Reflection on specific skills

During this weeks activity I have identified a number of areas in which I require further development, In order to deliver better results within my current and future job roles at my current company. Through this gap analysis I was able to identify my strength and weaknesses, plus critical and non critical skills I require to effectively deliver my company objectives.

One of the critical skills is for me to improve my business writing skills, mainly report writing skills. This would also assist me to better communicate my findings/ concerns amongst relevant stakeholders. I will be able to provide clearer/ better reports to various areas of the business and ensure that my writing is jargon free and technical terms are simplified so that anyone with any skill or background could understand what is being communicated,

Another critical skill is improvement on presentation skills, once again this is one of the key requirements within my current and any future role I undertake, as I will be required to present various power point presentation covering various areas and subjects. For example Presenting quarterly results for my team to the executive and directors of the company or at times I may be required to provide awareness training/ presentation to various areas company (staff with different knowledge and background) about Risk/ importance of risk management etc… . Building up on this skill also links nicely for the need for me to improve my public speaking skills and ensuring my presentations are clear and concise for everyone within the business area to understand and relate to their individual careers. Also ensuring to speak clearly and not too fast and allowing time for everyone to ask any questions they have regarding subject being presented.

Problem solving is highly required within my role and any future management/leadership role I move on to. Problem solving and decision making are skills we require both in business and life.  Ensuring that I follow the correct process and quality of decisions made are satisfactory, plus meet company objectives. Being better at assessing the situation and coming up with quick and efficient resolution (being able to identify and develop options) are key for any successful manager or leader. Any successful company requires talented individuals that are able in difficult situations to think quickly and come up wit clear solutions and being able to deliver it effectively in order to  assist the company to save money and avoid any loss whether it be financial, operational or reputational. Based on what I have mentioned it is apparent that a good problem solver also requires a mixture of other skills such as inventive maturity/growth and good analysis for options, clear judgment, firmness of decision and successful implementation.

These are all the skills I will be aiming to build upon, along side my leadership and management skills in order to achieve the best result with in my role and provide best outcome in achieving the company objectives.

Mona
Thanks for these comments.
The PDP has to be yours in that you have to take ownership of it, all be it with some reference to your employers needs. However,  a PDP is not just for now this is something that should follow you through out your career, and so the skills you develop are long tern not just about your current role, and I believe you have taken this on board.
You do need to ensure that the areas for development follow on from your personal skills audit, and that we see a thread running through the whole process.
Vaughan

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment