Tuesday 19 June 2012

Resource required supporting your PDP


Resource required supporting your PDP

During the last few weeks I have identified a number of areas that I required development, in order to meet my career and organisational needs.  For development and improvement purposes I have put together a development plan.  Through this I have identified that one of the ways to support my professional development would be through various training courses in each specific area that I have identified through my skill gap analysis/audit.

I don’t have a specific learning style as I tend to learn well on my own as well as learning in a class room  environment with a group of people and  being able to share knowledge, experience and participate in discussion and debates about various topics.  I also find online learning useful as it is still possible to join in forum discussions and send group emails about various topics. There is also tend to be a facility to have regular contact with one’s tutor through email, phone calls or web chat when doing an online/ distance learning courses.

There are currently a large number of resources available at my work place which I could take advantage of such as E-leraning courses as well as internal and external training courses which I could attend through out the year, however the cost of some of these courses needs to be authorised by senior management.

There are some free resource that I could initially start on such as use of Learning and development library to borrow books relating to skills I am looking to gain. Also books to enhance my knowledge on any courses I have already attended. I would also make the use of various website and free membership available to receive weekly/ monthly news letters on technical subject with in my area which is Risk management as well as general industry & technology news. One of the online resources I have found useful is MindTool.com which provides regular articles on management skills and other skills such as facilitation, presentation and problem solving, Report writing.

I would also take advantage of shadowing and being mentored by various staff within different areas of the business to gain a better understanding of what they do, how their work contributes towards companies objectives and how my department and theirs could work better, communicate more effectively to ensure the company remains successful any Risk exposures are prevented or mitigated.

By being given the opportunity to take on additional activity and working closely with various projects, I would build up on my management, communication, business, presentation and problem solving skills and may also be asked to present a report for the part I have contributed towards.

As mentioned previously I would also be looking at various online/ distance learning courses that are accredited by professional bodies to expand my knowledge and gain necessary skill and qualification that is required by my company and helps my current & future roles with in the business. I would be looking at completing these course at my own time so ensuring that I have enough spare time available to complete relevant assignments and revision, is key to succeed in these courses.

I would consistently review my progression through monthly meetings with my manager and documenting what I have learnt & achieved in the previous month. Also by completing similar activity on 6 month to yearly basis to review what are my strength and weakness (gap analysis).  This would highlight what I have improved on/ achieved and also highlighting what areas I still require to develop on or any new areas to look at due to changes to the company objectives and my role.

Comments:
Hello Mona
Don't worry about the word count it is just a guide, if you need to go over the limit, I would rather you do that and get your points in than miss out important points.
With regard to the attached, a good all round synopsis on the resources required, ranging from financial, organisational, and personal. I think you have addresses very well what will be required in order for you to meet your objectives.
Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment