Tuesday 19 June 2012

Week 11-Actions taken by myself in dealing with a staff welfare issue


Actions taken by managers in dealing with a staff welfare issue

As well as managing my team in my manager’s absence I also act as an elected Representative of employee safety (ECF). Around 6 months a go I was contacted by a member of staff who had phoned in sick, however she wasn’t just sick, there was actually a personal matter involved which she had  felt uncomfortable discussing with her line manager over the phone and she also mentioned because he was a male it made it bit more difficult for her. I asked if she was happy to discuss her circumstance with me. She made me aware that she was involved in a domestic violence abuse/assault that weakened and had suffered severe bruising to her face and didn’t feel comfortable attending work due to her bruising and scars. As she was very upset and crying on the phone, I offered to visit her at her parent’s address where she was staying. She accepted my offer and I spoke to my line manager and HR making them aware that I was going to visits a member of staff. I requested some guidance from my HR department and discussed the level of support and flexibility that can be provided, in order to be prepared when I met up with the member of staff. I took along with me a number of leaflets, helpful guides and useful telephone numbers which she could have. She found these very useful and was very grateful for the support and kindness she had received. At my visit I discussed the matter further and agreed to put together a support plan for her when I returned to work which I would discuss with her at my next visit. To reassure her that I understood the sensitivity of her circumstance, I reassured her that anything she discussed was remained confidential and would only be discussed with the HR department until time she felt comfortable for this to be discussed with her line manager.

The member of staff found the visit very useful and was happy with the support provided and made available to her. I also reassured her that I will be her first point of contact through the process so she wouldn’t need to discuss her circumstances with other members of staff. I also provided her with the name of my colleague within HR department whom she can contact in my absence.

The member of staff was offered compassionate leave until her bruising was better on her face and she could return to work with out her wages or sickness records being affected. A week later when she returned to work she found out that she requires operation on her nose as it was fractured. She had to be signed off work for two weeks to recover from her operation, although this had to go as a sickness, my self and HR officer insured that she received full pay during this period and her sickness record would not be effected so if she has any further sickness it wont mean that her pay would be stopped. This reassured her once again and reduced the level of her stress and anxiety.

Due to her traumatic experience and after her operation, she was diagnosed with Post traumatic Stress and found it very difficult to return to work and face her colleagues. At this point she was happy for me to discuss her circumstance with her line manager and we agreed as she was keen to carry on working and support her team, she was allowed to work from Home. To assist her, a laptop and VPN access was provided and before she could start using the equipment a Risk Assessment was carried out by myself to ensure her working environment was safe and met her needs. To ensure she has full recovery she was offered free counseling sessions paid for by the organisation. This allowed her once again not to worry and have anxiety and panic attacks which she was experiencing. The counseling sessions allowed her to regain her confidence to return to work after a month.

Prior to her returning to work I had a meeting with her team and line manager to explain how they should be around her and avoid making her feel isolated or bad for being away for a long time. Instead they were told to make her feel welcome and reassure her that they are happy for her to be back. Also ensuring she wasn’t given large volume of work and being brought up to date with any changes gradually to avoid any stress and anxiety.

She had a risk assessment when she returned to work to ensure her working environment was safe and comfortable and any additional requirements were met. It has been 6 months since the incident, however to ensure this member of staff is fully supported she still receives weekly counseling session and has a monthly meeting with myself and her line managers to discuss any issues/ concerns and progress she has made.

By being pro active and taking appropriate action at each stage, I was able to ensure the member of staff returned to work and didn’t need to be signed off sick long term. This member of staff has now regained their confidence and is one of the successful members of her team. Through out managing this case I ensured I remained professional and did not allow any personal emotions impact any of my decision makings and at all times considered the welfare of the member of staff involved and business needs. At finds I found this process challenging but by having support and guidance from senior member of staff I was able to make best decisions. By using my problem solving, motivational skills I was able to ensure this situation was managed appropriately and in adherence to my organisation’s policies.


Tutors comment before amendments were made:

Mona

This is a very good example of how a manger can use a range of skills including emotional intelligence to address what was a very sensitive and difficult situation. How did you feel about the whole episode? And what management skills do you think this called on from you?

Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment